My Off-Roading and Photography Blog

Exploring and Learning Through Nature and Inquiry

Blog Post #5 – Light at the End of the Tunnel

We’re so close to finishing up the semester! I can’t believe how fast it went by. It seems like only a couple of weeks ago I was picking up my ukulele at UVic and figuring out what a chord was. I’m so proud of how far my colleagues and I have all come. It’s been a pretty tough semester, but I can see the light on the other end! We’re so close, and it’s crunch time.

I’m feeling a bit stressed, and pretty nervous to present all of our term projects and lesson plans. The other day, I was doing homework for so long, and finally decided I really needed a break. I picked up my ukulele and just started playing. It was actually pretty relaxing! It was a nice little break from staring at my computer. I should really take some more little breaks like that, it made me feel less stressed and more calm.

At this point, I’m a bit nervous to film my final musical growth video. I am going to attempt to record myself playing “This Old Man”, but strumming it, rather than plucking. I’m having a hard time learning the strumming, so I’m planning on watching and playing along to some youtube videos. I have found this one pretty helpful:

After I film “This Old Man”, I’m even more nervous to film “Bruises”. The song is a really pretty song, and it’s actually not that difficult to play on the ukulele. This YouTube video is what I used to actually learn the song:

I’m more nervous to expose my singing! I get stage fright easily, so I’m just glad that I am able to record myself locked in my office with no one to hear! I’ve been practicing “Bruises” for quite some time now, and I think that I have it down pretty good, I just know that as soon as the camera is in front of me, I will psych myself out.

I’m going to work on not doing this, and trying to be confident! I hope that my recording wont take as many tries as it did the last time. I just need to believe in myself, and not put so much pressure on myself. My next (and last!) post will be reflecting on my experience with putting these two songs together, so hopefully the post will be positive!