My Off-Roading and Photography Blog

Exploring and Learning Through Nature and Inquiry

Week Twelve Reflection

In our final class for this course, we discussed using games in education. This was a fun lecture!

We began on a Google Doc, discussing where we saw some educational games in our own experience, whether it be for self-directed learning purposes, in a classroom, or in our Wednesday visits. Some idea’s came up about online math games, Kahoot, coding games, Minecraft and lots more. Personally, I remember doing lots of math games when I was in school, and even saw some of this happening in my Wednesday visit. When the kids use the chrome books, they are allowed 10 minutes of free time at the end, where they are able to play either math games or literacy games. I also remember doing “Tux Type” or “All the Right Type” when I was in middle school.

I think that these educational games can actually be really beneficial to students. A lot of times, they just see them as games, and get really excited to be able to play them, even though there is actual learning going on! It’s like disguising broccoli in a meal for a child, they don’t know that it’s there, so they are able to enjoy it!

For the last bit of class, we were able to get on to Kahoot and try it out. I remember doing this in high school, so it took me back! It was really fun, and a great resource for teachers to use for checking students’ understanding on a topic. The students are able to enjoy it and be in an anonymous competition with one another, while the teacher is able to assess their learning.

Overall, the last class was really fun. I’m sad to see this course come to an end, but I really enjoyed myself! I had so much fun exploring all these new technologies I’ve never heard of. I’ve began to curate a bunch of resources on Google Keep, so that I can start using them in my future class!

All the best to everyone. 🙂